Skip to content ↓

Prince William School

KS4 Curriculum

English GCSE at Prince William School is divided into two courses – English Language and English Literature; all students will pursue qualifications in both courses. Both courses are administered by Edexcel.

The English Language course is comprised of three units based on topics such as Fiction and Imaginative Writing – a study of and creative response to 19th century literature and Non-fiction and Transactional Writing – a study of and creative response to 20th and 21st century non-fiction texts. These exams test skills on understanding, analysis and evaluation. Equally, students will be examined on their ability to articulate themselves with clarity and sophistication in a structured, deliberate fashion. Both units will be assessed by external examination. Paper 1 is worth 40% of the GCSE and Paper 2 the remaining 60%.

Students will also complete the Spoken Language Endorsement. Although this is a compulsory part of the course it does not carry a weighting. Students will be required to complete a presentation, this can be informative or creative in style, and interact with an audience through question and answer. This will be marked internally and moderated externally. Students will be awarded a pass, merit or distinction.

The Literature course also comprises two units: Shakespeare and Post-1914 Literature – a study of two texts specified by the exam board. Currently we are studying either “Romeo or Juliet” or “Macbeth” by William Shakespeare and “An Inspector Calls by JB Priestley. The second unit focuses on a 19th century Novel and Poetry since 1789 – the study of a novel specified by the exam board, currently we study either “Frankenstein” by Mary Shelly, “The Strange case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde” by Robert Louis Stevenson or “A Christmas Carol” by Charles Dickens, and the study of poems connected by the theme of Conflict from an anthology. Students will be assessed on their ability to respond critically to texts through analysis and exploration of ideas, themes and other authorial methods. Students will also be required to focus on the social, historical, cultural and political contexts of the time in which texts are written and those in which they are received. Both units will be assessed by external examination and are equally weighted at 50% each.

Language Skills Taught:

A01 Identify and interpret explicit and implicit information and ideas Select and synthesise evidence from different texts
A02 Explain, comment on and analyse how writers use language and structure to achieve effects and influence readers, using relevant subject terminology to support their views
A03 Compare writers’ ideas and perspectives, as well as how these are conveyed, cross two or more texts A04 Evaluate texts critically and support this with appropriate textual references
A05 Communicate clearly, effectively and imaginatively, selecting and adapting tone, style, and register for different forms, purposes and audiences. Organise information and ideas, using structural and grammatical features to support coherence and cohesion of texts
A06 Candidates must use a range of vocabulary and sentence structures for clarity, purpose and effect, with accurate spelling and punctuation
A07 Demonstrate presentation skills in a formal setting
A08 Listen and respond appropriately to spoken language, including to questions and feedback to presentations
A09 Use spoken Standard English effectively in speeches and presentations

Literature Skills Taught:

A01 Read, understand and respond to texts
A02 Maintain a critical style and develop an informed personal response
A03 Use textual references, including quotations, to support and illustrate interpretations
A04 Analyse the language, form and structure used by a writer to create meanings and effects, using relevant subject terminology where appropriate
A05 Show understanding of the relationships between texts and the contexts in which they were written and effects, using relevant subject terminology where appropriate
A06 Use a range of vocabulary and sentence structures for clarity, purpose and effect, with accurate spelling and punctuation.

 

Cycle1

Cycle2

Cycle3

Cycle4

Cycle5

Cycle6

Year 10

Edexcel Literature Paper 2: “Frankenstein”

Edexcel Language Paper 1

19th Century Extracts

 

Edexcel Literature Paper 1:

“An Inspector Calls”

Edexcel Language Paper 2:

20th/21st Century Extracts

GCSE Media Studies Revision

EXAM: JUNE 2017

Edexcel Literature Paper 1

“Macbeth”/”Romeo and Juliet”

Year 11

Edexcel Literature Paper 2:

Poetry

Edexcel Language Paper 1 & 2 Revision

 

Edexcel Literature Paper 2 Revision

Edexcel Literature Paper 1 Revision

Edexcel Language & Literature Revision: All Papers

N/A  - External Assessment Complete